Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Honey Oatmeal Bread

This is from my KitchenAid recipe book. I've made this bread several times, and we really like it. It is a nice change from wheat but still a little more substantial than plain white. See my NOTES at end of recipe.

1 1/2 C water
1/2 C honey
1/3 C butter or margarine
5 1/2-6 1/2 C flour
1 C quick cooking oats
2 tsp salt
2 packages active dry yeast (4 1/2 tsp)
2 eggs
1 egg white
1 T water
Oatmeal

Place water, honey and butter in small saucepan. Heat over low heat until mixture is very warm.

First place oats, then 5 cups flour, salt and yeast in mixer bowl. Mix. Gradually add warm mixture to flour mixture and mix about 1 minute. Add eggs and mix about 1 minute. Add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, and mix about 2 minutes or until dough starts to clean sides of bowl. Knead about 2 minutes longer.

Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover. Let rise in warm place, free from draft, about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.

Punch dough down and divide in half. Shape each half into a loaf. Place in two greased 8 1/2X4 1/2X2 1/2 inch baking pans. Cover. Let rise in warm place, free from draft, about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.

Beat egg white and water together with a fork. Brush top of loaves with mixture. Sprinkle with oatmeal. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.

NOTES: I divided the dough into three pieces and used my bread pans that are slightly smaller than the above measurements. I don't brush the dough with egg whites and water. I just butter the top when I take them out of the oven. I baked the bread at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.


(photo added by Vanessa)

No comments: