yield 4-6 servings
Note: I made these tonight and loved them! Maria
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped white or yellow onion
- 1 to 3 garlic cloves, finely minced, or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely minced (optional)
- Taco shells
- Taco toppings of choice
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the ground beef or turkey, onion, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often and breaking the meat into small pieces, until the meat is cooked through, 5-7 minutes.
- Off the heat, drain any excess grease, if needed.
- Return the skillet to the heat and stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. Cook for about 30 seconds until the mixture smells fragrant.
- Add the tomato sauce and minced jalapeños, if using. Simmer the mixture for about 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve in taco shells with your choice of toppings (makes great taco salad, too!)