Friday, March 26, 2010

Vegetable Curry**

A really easy curry recipe for the "adventurers" out there. Curry isn't 'hot spicy', just really flavorful. I thought it was delicious. I will post the recipe how I found it online (with measurement conversions since is was from the UK), then I will tell you what we did different.

http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/vegetable-curry


Ingredients:
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 inch piece fresh ginger, chopped
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 Tbs vegetable oil
2 Tbs curry powder
2 medium waxy potatoes, roughly chopped into about 8 pieces
2 14 oz cans coconut milk
1 14 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 small cauliflower, cut into small florets
3 tomatoes, cut into eighths
1 bunch of green onions, chopped
2 Tbs soy sauce
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp caster (superfine) sugar
cilantro

Directions:
1. Pound or puree the garlic, ginger and pepper to a rough paste. Heat the oil in a wok, add the paste and fry for a few minutes over medium heat. Stir in the curry powder and potatoes. Add the coconut milk and chickpeas and simmer for 8-10 minutes.

2. When the potato is just about tender, add the cauliflower. Cook for 5 more minutes, then add the tomato wedges, green onions, soy sauce, salt and sugar. Cook for another 5 minutes or so. Serve over steamed rice or crispy flat-bread. Garnish with cilantro.

*I used my small food processor to make the first three ingredients into a paste. In order to get it to blend together right I just added the oil to the paste. I cooked the whole thing in my dutch oven pot because we don't have a wok. I substituted 1 pound of cooked chicken for the chickpeas. This wasn't because I don't like chickpeas, I just wanted to use chicken. I just used 1 tsp regular granulated sugar instead of the superfine sugar.*

No comments: