Sunday, March 21, 2010
Copycat California Pizza Kitchen Spinach Artichoke Dip
This is the Dip that we had at Natalie's baby shower.
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
3/4 cup diced white or yellow onion
1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 crumbled chicken bouillon cubes
1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp sugar
3/4 cup sour cream
12 oz frozen spinach, defrosted, drained and chopped
6 oz artichoke bottoms, drained and cut into slices (I like to use hearts instead of bottoms and use the whole can which is 8 oz)
1 cup finely shredded Monterey Jack cheese
3/4 tsp Tabasco sauce (optional)
1. In a large saucepan, warm the olive oil and butter over medium heat. When butter has melted, add onion and cook until wilted, 3-4 minutes.
2. Stir in garlic and cook 2-3 min longer, stopping before onion and garlic start to brown.
3. Sprinkle the flour over and continue cooking, stirring continuously, until mixture is golden blond, about 10-15 min. Slowly add the stock, whisking continuously until it is smoothly incorporated.
4. When mixture begins to simmer, stir in the cream. Return to simmer. Remove from heat and add the Parmesan, bouillon cubes, lemon juice and sugar. Stir until thoroughly blended.
5. Add the sour cream, spinach, artichokes, Monterey Jack, and Tabasco sauce. Stir until all ingredients are thoroughly combined and the cheese is melted.
6. Serve immediately OR you can refrigerate and warm back up in the oven in a oven safe dish. (About 350 degrees for 30-45 min, stirring about midway.)