Monday, October 14, 2013

Basic Sweet Dough

I use this recipe when I make rolls.  It is from a little recipe book that came with my KitchenAid Mixer.

3/4 C milk
1/2 C sugar
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 C butter or margarine
2 packages active dry yeast (4 1/2 tsp)
1/3 C warm water
3 eggs, room temperature
5/1/2 - 6 1/2 C flour

Place milk, sugar, salt, and butter in small saucepan.  Heat over low heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves.  Cool to lukewarm.

Dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed mixer bowl.  Add lukewarm milk mixture, eggs, and 5 cups flour.  Attach bowl and spiral dough hook to mixer.  Turn to speed 2 and mix about 2 minutes.

Continuing on speed 2, add remaining flour, 1/2 C at a time, and mix about 1 1/2 minutes, or until dough starts to clean sides of bowl.  Knead on speed 2 about 2 minutes longer.

Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease top.  Cover.  Let rise in warm place, free from draft, about 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.  

Punch dough down and shape as desired for rolls or coffee cakes.  

I then let my rolls rise for another hour.  I bake my rolls at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments: