Sunday, May 6, 2012

White Cake Box Add-ins

I have been looking for a way to dense-up and dress-up the box cake mix for taste and texture purposes.  I find cake made strictly from the box mix and directions crumbles and falls a part much too easily.  I just tried a this one from Our Best Bites that I really like.  I also realized how much I like anything with almond extract in it.  I have a white sheet cake recipe with almond extract that I love.  I will post it.  Now I just need to find some thing for chocolate cake.


Easy White Cake

Ingredients
1 box white cake mix (Duncan Hines super moist is best)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 tsp salt
4 egg whites
1 1/3 cups water
2 Tbs vegetable oil
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract (use clear vanilla for a pure white cake)
1 tsp almond extract

Directions
Mix all dry ingredients with a whisk, then add wet ingredients. Beat for two minutes until fluffy.

For Cake: Pour into greased, floured pans (fills two 8 or 9″ rounds) and bake according to cake package directions.

Tip:  When cakes come out, cool for 5 minutes on wire rack, then cover with two sheets of plastic wrap (in a “+” sign), turn them out and wrap the plastic around them. Allow to cool all wrapped up (keeps the moisture from evaporating out) then pop in freezer on a cutting board to keep them flat. Once they are frozen, they are super easy to frost and defrost in about a half an hour.

For cupcakes: fill paper liners 3/4 full and bake according to box directions.  Makes 36 cupcakes.

Kierstin's Notes:  I poured it all into a 9*13 pan and baked it for over an hour at 325 degrees until it was done.  I used the dark and it was still pretty white.  I also used half milk and half water.

No comments: